DID YOU KNOW?
(1) Alcohol is the most frequently used and misused substance in the country. Past-month alcohol use is higher in Southwest CT than the rest of the state, which is already higher than national rates.
(2) Up to 1 in 10 adults in our region feel a need to cut back on their drinking.
(3) Up to half of high school students in our region drank in the past 30 days.
(4) Binge drinking* is common among teens and young adults... and very dangerous. *Binge drinking=drinking more than 4 drinks at one time for women, more than 5 at one time for men
(5) Adults can be arrested for underage drinking on their property even if they don't know about it.
Learn more in our 2019 regional profile of alcohol in Southwest CT
Scroll down for resources...
Download our 2-page infographic on alcohol in Southwest CT here
Alcohol statistics from the National Institutes of Health
Myths & facts online quiz
Download infographic prepared for CT Prevention Week 2020
2019 statewide epidemiological profile: Alcohol
"Drowning Sorrows" - 2016 national award winning short film (5 min.)
"Your Brain on Drugs: Alcohol" - Biochemistry of how alcohol works on your brain - 2 min. animation
"Teens and Alcohol," with Dr. Rob Turrisi (8 min.)
"Talking About Alcohol," with Dr. Rob Turrisi - why alcohol prevention needs to be a priority and what makes it different from other drugs (13 min.)
"Voice of an Addict"- Jordan Meyer official music video (5 min.)
"How Parents can Prevent Youth Drinking & Drug Use" - Darien's 2020 Thriving Youth Task Force presentation
RESOURCES FOR SCHOOLS, PARENTS & COMMUNITIES:
College Drinking Prevention website
SAMHSA info for schools here
Great resources for parents, teens & educators (including Common Core-aligned curriculum) from Natural High
NIDA's Teen Chat for National Drug & Alcohol Week here
EverFi "Alcohol EDU" online curriculum (paid)
FREE online drug education for parents from Courage to Speak