Opioids & Prescription Drugs
DID YOU KNOW?
(1) Opioids are strong narcotics prescribed for pain. Because they are highly addictive, users who become dependent often turn to heroin as a cheaper source.
(2) Unfinished bottles of pills in your medicine cabinet are a risk to your family & friends. Keep your drugs locked up! Dispose of leftovers at your local dropbox or by using a Deterra bag. (You can also mix your meds with kitty litter or coffee grounds.)
(3) Medication Assisted Treatment (e.g., methadone, suboxone, Vivitrol) is the most successful method for dealing with an opioid use disorder. Treatment doesn't have to be lifelong!
(4) Benzodiazepines like Xanax, used for sleep and anxiety, are the most commonly prescribed drugs in the U.S. and in CT. They are not intended for long-term use.
(5) In 2018, the 5 most-prescribed controlled substances in CT included 3 benzos, 1 opioid, and 1 stimulant (an ADHD drug).
Scroll down for resources...
Download our 2 page infographic on prescription drugs in Southwest CT here
CDC Infomercial about Opioids: 1.5 min. video
What You Need to Know about Prescription Opioids: 2pp factsheet from CT's Change the Script campaign
"How to use" deterra bags for safe disposal of prescription drugs: 1 min. video
RESOURCES FOR SAFE STORAGE & DISPOSAL OF PRESCRIPTION DRUGS:
Flyer listing dropboxes in Southwest CT
Printable infographic from US FDA
Remove the Risk: complete toolkit in English and Spanish with video PSAs, social media posts, factsheets and more from the US FDA
Safe Drug Disposal Guide for Communities (14 pp from Partnership for Drug-Free Kids)
Stem the Tide: Addressing the Opioid Epidemic (27 pp guide for providers and communities from the American Hospital Association
CAMPAIGNS & RESOURCES FOR CHANGING PRESCRIBING PATTERNS AND REDUCING OVERDOSES:
CT's LiveLOUD campaign
CT's Change the Script campaign
EverFi's Prescription Drug Safety course for high schools
CT's Naloxone and Overdose Response App (NORA)
CDC's Opioids portal
DEA's Operation Prevention (available in English & Spanish) Initiative