Mental Health Disorders
DID YOU KNOW?
(1) Mental health disorders affect 16% of adults in Southwest CT each year.
(2) 2018 surveys in Southwest CT found that life satisfaction among adults is decreasing and that depression and anxiety are increasing.
(3) Depression, anxiety, and suicidal ideation have increased dramatically among teens and young adults since the mid-2000s. Factors include increased use of digital communication and social media and decreases in sleep.
Scroll down for resources...
Download our 2-page infographic on mental health in Southwest CT here.
Free Play slideshow from our October 2019 lunch & learn: Free Play Initiative: How Wilton is Changing the Community Culture
August 2019 research & policy statement by the National Council on Mass Violence in America: Causes, Impacts and Solutions: Here
NPR: How to start therapy here
TOOLS & CURRICULA FOR K-12 SCHOOLS:
Overcoming Obstacles: free life skills curriculum for elementary, middle & high school in English, French & Spanish
4 What's Next (5 session resiliency curriculum for high schools; middle schools coming soon)
Emotional Regulation Games
EverFi's online mental health and wellness courses
CT's plan for children: resources page
- Educator toolkit on SEL from Common Sense Media
Harvard's Explore SEL toolkit
School Health Assessment and Performance Evaluation System for mental health: SHAPE
Video & Toolkit: Getting Relationships Right (15 min, Search Institute)
TOOLS & CURRICULA FOR COLLEGES:
AFSP's College Students & Mental Health documentary
Mental Health Matters Video - focused on college students and their MH
- JED Foundation - many college programs including ULifeLine, Love is Louder, Half of Us, Set to Go & JED Campus
RESOURCES IN SOUTHWEST CT THAT EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW:
Find crisis & treatment services using our regional resources guides and the SAMHSA locator map
Identify a family-endorsed provider through Resources to Recover
Get our list of free peer support resources
SUPPORT AND ADVOCACY RESOURCES IN CT:
WEBSITES YOU SHOULD KNOW:
CrisisTextLine Free to text any time for any crisis or concern
- CrisisTrends Searchable data from the Crisis Text Line
SeizetheAwkward How to talk to someone when you're concerned
OnOurSleeves Movement to transform children's mental health
TurningPointCT - online peer support and information by and for teens & young adults in CT
7 Cups of Tea Free emotional support