DID YOU KNOW?
(1) Smoking is the leading preventable cause of death and disease in the U.S.
(2) Vaping is increasingly popular among teens and young adults, who perceive it to be relatively safe. (It isn't!)
(3) 2nd hand smoke is dangerous whether it's from cigarettes or vapes.
(4) Smoking cigarettes appears to be rising again after years of decreasing.
(5) Vapes are frequently used for marijuana.
Learn more in our 2019 regional profile on nicotine in Southwest CT
Scroll down for resources...
The Hub's 2-page infographic on nicotine & vaping in Southwest CT here.
CT Prevention Training Center infograph on vaping in Connecticut
1-page “Smoking/Vaping Laws Have Changed!” editable info sheet from The Hub here
CDC factsheet: What is Vaping/Electronic cigarettes?
Smart Approaches to Marijuana factsheet on vaping THC (October 2019)
November 9, 2019 update from CDC
November 6, 2019 resource digest focused on vaping & the behavioral health population, from the National Behavioral Health Network
October 11, 2019 press release from DPH
- Health Risks of Vaping (August 2019 NY Times article)
VIDEOS & SLIDESHOWS:
Awareness video from the CT Prevention Training Center (3.5 min.)
DMHAS/DPH powerpoint (49 slides) updated August 2019 - toolkit for community adaptation/use
Teen Vaping Prevention Messages that Work: July 2019 video from Rescue Agency social marketers (33 min.)
RESOURCES FOR PARENTS:
Vape Talk - downloadable conversation guide from the American Lung Association
12pp resource for parents from Partnership for Drug-Free Kids: What Parents Should Know
13 pág. para padres: Guía de vapear
CURRICULUM & SCHOOL RESOURCES:
"The Real Cost": vaping info for teens from DHHS
Considerations for school districts from The Hub (presented to superintendents October 2019)
INDEPTH: an alternative to teen suspension or citation program from the American Lung Assn (free to download)
Online educational program for parents or schools (available in English and Spanish): VapeEducate
- Vaping education curriculum from Stanford University: Vaping toolkit
- Speakers & resources at steeredstraight.org